Open Call: March 1 – April 1, 2021
The 3rd Thing is seeking prose projects for publication in 2022 and beyond. Submit your book-length manuscript of literary fiction, creative nonfiction, hybrid or experimental work. We imagine submissions will come in at around 80-180 pages, but we are open-minded about this. Our typical publishing contract includes a modest advance and generous royalty terms.
We publish what we call “necessary alternatives.” When we make editorial choices, we ask ourselves: Is this work necessary? Is it alternative? Ask yourself the same questions before you submit to The 3rd Thing.
Please do not submit unless you identify as a womxn, queer, nonbinary, Indigenous, or as a person of color. If you have to work hard to locate yourself in this list, we’re probably not the right press for you.
- Include a cover page on your manuscript with the title of the work and your full name.
- Please number your pages.
- We will accept .doc, .docx or .pdf files only.
- Any file larger than 10MB risks being rejected by our server.
- Please only send your submission to submissions@the3rdthing [dot] press.
- Include in the body of your email note some information about yourself, including any relevant personal and professional details. No synopsis is necessary. Artist statements are welcome but not required.
Simultaneous submissions are fine. If you hear back with good news, do us the favor of sharing it with us. We will be happy for you.
Submissions received outside the open reading period will not be read.
We expect to make decisions and notify authors by August 2021.