“The third thing” is the idea that emerges when we use imagination instead of compromise to solve a problem, meet a need, repair an injury, right a wrong, answer a question, question an answer, to get where we’re going, to go somewhere new.
The 3rd Thing is an independent press dedicated to publishing necessary alternatives. Every year or so we publish a cohort of projects representing in form, content and perspective our interdisciplinary, intersectional priorities. We think of each project in the cohort as a break in the stockade—a way out of the settlement and into the wilderness. Come through.
Often our books are the result of an artist working in a non-dominant discipline—a playwright writes a book of poems, a theater-maker writes a book of essays, a filmmaker writes a book of theory…. And while our emphasis is on print traditions, our projects may take any number of forms: books, broadsides, performances, installations, colloquia, video anthologies, etc.
Support Independent Presses & Artists
Purchasing books and other projects, such as our broadsides, directly from our website ensures that a significantly greater portion of the amount you spend goes to the press and to the author. This is true of most independent presses. Often we are able to pass that savings along to readers by offering significant discounts on direct purchases. Always check to see if it is possible to buy directly from a publisher.
“Over the years, I’ve seen many excellent literary presses come along, and yet I’ve not seen anything quite like what The 3rd Thing has done…. The books both stand on their own, acknowledging and speaking from their own place, and are also in communion with the others published that year, and in times prior. Eight titles in, I look forward to what is to come.” -Rick Simonson, Elliott Bay Book Company
Make your tax-deductible donation to The 3rd Thing through our fiscal sponsorship with 501c(3) Northwest Film Forum. Donate Now
- Add your name to our Pre-Sale Notification list and we’ll ping you as projects prepare to take flight.
Bookstores & Educators
- Our books are distributed to the trade and the academic market by SPD. Visit their website to inquire about stocking 3rd Thing books and about course-adoption.
Reviews, Author Events & General Inquiries
- If you would like to review one of our books, host an author event, or for general inquiries about the press, please contact us by email at editors@the3rdthing [dot] press.
- We are now accepting submissions of time-based work for GOOD SYMPTOM, a serial anthology of short films that trouble the boundary between literary and cinematic forms. Visit our Film Freeway submission portal for more information. Call open through December 20, 2022.
- At this time, we are considering print-based work only by invitation. If you know – or if you are – an artist or writer of color who you think we should know about, drop us a line at editors@the3rdthing [dot] press. We are always on the lookout for necessary alternatives. Include relevant links to work, but no attachments. We won’t open any message with an attachment. Keep it simple. And please forgive the slowness of our response time. Sign up to receive our periodic dispatches and follow us on social media (Instagram / Twitter) to find out about open reading periods and other specific opportunities to engage.